History of the Ezekiel Harris house
The Ezekiel Harris House was built in 1797 in the historic district known as Harrisburg, located in Augusta, Ga. The house is the earliest known settlement in Harrisburg and at the time was known as the Pearson-Walker-Harris House. Ezekial Harris, a prominent tobacco merchant, came from Edgefield County, SC and bought roughly 323 acres of land. These 323 acres were bought with the intent that Harrisburg will rival Augusta in tobacco trading. Not only did Mr. Harris build the house that is still standing today but he also built a warehouse on the river. The purpose of the house at the time was to accommodate planters who came to the area with their crops. The house was inhabited by Mr. Harris until about 1807. According to a book by the United States Department of the Interior, the Ezekiel Harris House was declared abandoned in 1808, due to Mr. Harris’ inability to establish residency. The house was finally restored in 1964. The house was a great memorial for the American Revolution as well as Colonial America and therefore became a historic site in Augusta.
The house is a rare example of the Georgian style architecture, prominent in the 1700’s. The style of the house was transitional between Georgian and Federal, which were very popular after the Revolutionary War.There is evidence present that the house was built in two stages. This evidence proves that the eastern side of the house was built after the western side of the house. The one architectural feature that is most visible is the front entrance way to the house. The house contains many original designs such as the mantle pieces, arched cielings, curved wood, and windows. Some other features that are more subtle are the beaded clapboards and chamfred porch supports, and elaborate decorative details.
harris house today
After the restoration of the Ezekiel Harris House, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is a known historic site for tourism and education. The restoration helped to preserve the eighteenth century design that the house captures so beautifully. As soon as visitors enter the house they can observe what life was like back in eighteenth century America. The house is a memorial for the Old South within a New South community. In 1964, citizens felt as if the house was fogotten by their community and as a result the house was renovated. Since then, it became a constant reminder to Augustans of their town’s rich history.